ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

My neice has lived with me since 2011 when her mother died,

Customer Question

my neice has lived with me since 2011 when her mother died, in 2002 her father passed away. She was receiving social security benefits and my brother took us to court and was named as her payee and would only pay us 500 dollars a month out of $1325. No my neice turned 18 in December and we haven't seen any of her money he was banking. She needs it for college. We contacted our local SS office and they told me that I must contact the office in Harrisburg were the payee lives. I called and the gentlemen was nice and stated that things look strange and he need to talk to the payee so we gave him the phone number and then he called back and was very different to me and would only talk to my neice because she was 18. He told her that the payee had placed her money in a college fund and that it was his right and that social security had nothing else to do with it and she should call the payee. She called the payee that is her uncle and he told her that it was in this college fund and it is in his name and she will have to give him all the bills that need paid and he will pay it and she stated that she didn't want him to control her money she is and adult and wants her money. He told her it is his right. Is this true and is there any thing we can do to get him unenvoled.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
This is going to have to be a lawsuit to have her gain control ,,(as an adult) any funds held on her behalfsorry to be the crater of bad news.
There " may be another option", I'll offer thou a call to discuss.