PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

Is there help 43-year-male school teacher who was recently

Customer Question

Is there help for a 43-year-male school teacher who was recently diagnosed with ALL (leukemia) whose insurance ends at the end of August 2015. being told by his doctors that he has to quit working for a year due to his illness and who is receiving chemotherapy? Is there a a program under social security that will help him cover his medical bills and help with his disability for this catastrophic illness?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. I'mCustomer and will be helping you today.
I want to check the social security list of impairments before I post a response.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
www.disabilitysecrets.com/question1.html is a good introduction to the social security disability system, and qualifying for their benefits, which include medicaid/ medicare health insurance. The health insurance benefit is typically approved quickly once eligible. Social security disability benefits typically take a long time for approval.
Short term disability coverage as an employee may be immediately available. If you have long term employer based disability coverage, that would also be a source of support.
A combination of the two might meet your needs.
You did not mention your means, continued benefits from your employer, or other factors, only that I assume you will be out of work completely during treatment.
Your state covers medicare application and benefit disbursement.
Good luck with your treatment.
Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer