dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have been married years my wife has worked very little

Customer Question

I have been married for 47 years my wife has worked very little and does not qualify for social security or medicare we are on a fixed income and cant afford regular health insurance can we use my social security benefits for her?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 37 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
If you wife is at least age 62, you can start collecting what is known as her spousal benefit and that amount is one half of what you are entitled to at age 66. But she cannot collect until age 62. Likewise, even if you are not collecting yet, she can still apply beginning at age 62.
I WISH YOU WELL. FOR CUSTOMER QUALITY CONTROL, PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO RATE MY ANSWER BY CLICKING THREE OR MORE STARS OR SMILES. ANSWERS ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED OR IMPLIED.