LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Im still working < yrs old> - spouse is 65 receiving ss since

Customer Question

im still working - spouse is 65 receiving ss since 62 <not working.....
my question - does she qualify for half of what i receive - what she receives now is about a third.................
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Because your spouse started her benefits early, at age 62, whole she will be entitled to a spouse benefit when you begin to take your benefit, she will not get 50% of the amount are awarded, but something less because she chose to take her own benefit early. Let me explain how the amount will be calculated.
Let’s say your wife’s Primary Insurance Amount (PIA----the amount that she would have received on her own account at full retirement age of 66)) was $1,000. She files for her own benefit at 62 and receives a reduced retirement benefit of $750.
Say you have a PIA of $2500. She is eligible to receive one-half of your PIA at her full retirement age. $2500 (your PIA); divided by two, that equals $1,250 (This is the full spouse’s rate). Social Security will subtract from the $1250 (the full spouse’s rate) – $1000 (her PIA) = $250.
Social Security will add that $250 to her reduced retirement benefit amount of $750 and her new benefit amount at full retirement age will be $1,000, which is somewhat less than the full spouse’s rate would be had she waited to age 66.
Now, if you die before she does she will be entitled to a survivor benefit and that will be (if she is at least 66 by then) 100% of the amount you are receiving on your death.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug