PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I've a brother in Sacramento now and he's transferring to another

Customer Question

I've a brother in Sacramento now and he's transferring to another caregiver and the previous caregiver does not return all his personal identities plus furniture ! How can I as his related blood sister and legal designate representative and want to take over his payee with his ssi payment?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. I'mCustomer and will be helping you today.
Replacing a SSA payee is pretty simple, fighting for records and assets that a former caregiver is retaining is harder.
SSA will act to investigate the actions of a payee who is charged with improper acts. www.ssa.gov/payee/faqbene.htm#a0=6 is the link to the SSA web page on the subject.
Switching pages can be done as part of that inquiry process.
I want to post a more complete source of payee information. I will pay that as a follow up.
www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-repayee-ussi.htm is the link to the SSA flyer that covers payee information. That suggests you will need to both go to a SSA office to complete the transfer application and outline the charges being made.
There may be a month or so in which the former payee will still receive the check, but SSA does take these concerns seriously and will assist.
Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Please review the revisions posted to my original response.
Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer