Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have been married twice - first husband over ten years and

Customer Question

I have been married twice - first husband over ten years and second much less. Both men are deceased. I collect my own Social Security based on my income. Can I get additional benefits from first husband's social security? Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I have been married twice - first husband over ten years and second much less. Both men are deceased. I collect my own Social Security based on my income. Can I get additional benefits from first husband's social security? Thank you. ------- This IS possible - if a surviving divorced spouse benefit would exceed that which you get on your own record, you would likely want to file for it. It can be as much as 100% of his benefit amount. SO it is not additional benefits, but you can choose that benefit or continue on your own.
Also, if your marriage to your second husband ended due to his death, than you need not have been married 10 years to be a surviving widow potentially eligible for benefits - but if it ended via divorce, then you would not be so eligible.
We can never get more than one choice of amounts - so we tend to pick the highest one available to us.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!
Hello again. It is month end - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:
1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR
2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.
If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!
Sincerely,
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional