SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

I made a mistake and applied social security retirement

Customer Question

I made a mistake and applied for my social security retirement benefits on my own account. My husband has a much better history than I do. How can I change to being his spouse and receive benefits based on that relationship.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for contacting us today. My goal is to provide efficient assistance to you and hopefully a peace of mind as well.
Since you have already applied for your own Social Security benefits, you may have to go in person to make the change. The following info indicates that you can call, or apply online as well. I think this is for new claims though. You will need to have the followings docs available. SEE BELOW:
Online, if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older, or
By calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.
-----------------------------
Documents you may need to provide
We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:
Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.
Final divorce decree, if applying as a divorced spouse; and
Marriage certificate.
You can refer to the following social security webpage for more detailed info:
http://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-2.html
------------------------------
If you are eligible for both your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit.
If you choose to begin receiving spouse’s benefits before you reach full retirement age, your benefit amount will be reduced and will not be increased when you reach full retirement age.
REFERENCE SOURCE:
http://tinyurl.com/lp34vj7
Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.