Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I applied through Intake Personal, Midwest

Customer Question

I applied for divisibility through Intake Personal, Midwest Disability, PA. I have been told that the answer I can expect in next 6 - 9 months. I asked: "Can I applied for retirement during the waiting period?" The answer was that I have to choose between retirement and disability. How can I pay my mortgage, utyliti and food in the next 6 or 9 months?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 37 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
You were given wrong information. If you are 62 or older, you can apply for retirement now. And if you do qualify for SSD, your benefit will be higher. Likewise, you were told not to apply as your back benefits are higher if you do not apply for retirement and that means that the service you are using will get a higher fee. But the information they gave you was wrong.
I WISH YOU WELL. FOR CUSTOMER QUALITY CONTROL, PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO RATE MY ANSWER BY CLICKING THREE OR MORE STARS OR SMILES. ANSWERS ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED OR IMPLIED.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cansel my membership. I am not satisfied with the answer, Please, refund my money.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I have to say, your prior expert is 200% correct. And I agree with his suspicions as to why that "outfit" told you you couldn't apply for retirement - it means little to no fee for them should they secure you a disability award. I can't say for sure, but that is what it sounds like. So, if you are old enough for retirement, YES, you can file for it right now. And, while you are at it, you may want to apologize to Dylatess, who was spot on and cleared the path for you, and give him a favorable rating. Good luck with all - I hope you win your Disability case!
Sincerely,
Stephanie Joy