Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I will be 65 next week. My husband died in 2005; his SS benefits

Customer Question

I will be 65 next week. My husband died in 2005; his SS benefits would be higher than mine. How do I find out what amount I would be eligible to collect if I stop working in July 2015.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
You will probably be entitled to a widow's benefit. You will receive your own retirement benefit amount first and that amount will be supplemented with whatever extra benefit amount you are due as a widow.
The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:
http://www.ssa.gov/sf/FactSheets/WomenandSSrev1.pdf
The main number for the Social Security Administration is 1.***-***-****, and the hours of operation are between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
http://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts JustAnswer to compensate me.
Best regards,
Barb