Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Did you mean: i am a non citizen who worked in 1960-66 part

Customer Question

Did you mean: i am a non citizen who worked in 1960-66 part time, earning 7 social security credits. then I worked 30 plus years in another country for myself and a non US organization. i did not pay into social security after 1966. can I now pay what I need to get 40 credits and be eligible for benefits. i am over 70 years of age. non immigrant, live 6 months in US and 6 months elsewhere. I plan to get legal non immigrant resident as soon as I qualify.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
With regard to your post:
i am a non citizen who worked in 1960-66 part time, earning 7 social security credits. then I worked 30 plus years in another country for myself and a non US organization. i did not pay into social security after 1966. can I now pay what I need to get 40 credits and be eligible for benefits. ------- No, unfortunately, we can't pay after the fact and we only get SS credits by working for them. However, if you can work PT, very minimal (say, grossing $5000/year for a total of 10 calendar years), paying US SS taxes, you can then be eligible for Social Security retirement benefits. Alternatively, if you marry a person who receives Social Security, and are otherwise eligible, you may be eligible for a "spousal" benefit based on that person's work record.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!