Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I can collect SS now. If I suspend my benefit and my spouse

Customer Question

I can collect SS now. If I suspend my benefit and my spouse collects a spousal benefit:
1. will it be based on my benefit
2. will it be based on his benefit (he's 63) and will he receive his full benefit amount at 66.
Also, can I collect my benefit now and he collect a spousal benefit now and still get his full benefit at 66.
Can a person collect more than one SS check a month - their own and a deceased or ex?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
With regard to your post:
"I can collect SS now. If I suspend my benefit and my spouse collects a spousal benefit:----- OK, this you means you are at least of full retirement age (FRA)...
"1. will it be based on my benefit ------- Because he is under FRA, he will be forced to take the higher amount of the two, first paid via his own benefit (early), then any spousal boost if applicable...
"2. will it be based on his benefit (he's 63) and will he receive his full benefit amount at 66. ----- No, once you take early, you never get your full amount. That is because he opts to collect more payments of a lesser amount, by collecting early.
"Also, can I collect my benefit now and he collect a spousal benefit now and still get his full benefit at 66. ----- No. Because he is starting to collect a retirement benefit early. The only way he can collect full of anything is if he waits til he is actually of full retirement age. At that point, he may be able to CHOOSE to collect ONLY spousal (restricted), while allowing his own benefit to grow to age 70 (increasing an additional 32% over his primary insurance amount had he taken at 66).
"Can a person collect more than one SS check a month - their own and a deceased or ex? - No.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!