Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I turned 70 in Nov 2014 and started retirement benefits at

Customer Question

I turned 70 in Nov 2014 and started retirement benefits at age 65 with my wife getting spousal benefits. Can I pay back the retirement benefits already paid and establish the benefits effective at age 70?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the amount of the payment to establish benefits for me and my spouse as if starting benefits at age 70
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
You started collecting your own benefits early, about 5 years ago? Not only Medicare at age 65?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct with my wife getting spousal benefits
OK, thank you.
Unfortunately, no, we are barred from withdrawing our application and repaying what we received (i.e. a "do-over") after 12 months have passed. This 'newer' rule occurred around 2010, after the SSA realized that many people were using the possibility as an interest free loan. (They's collect, say, 5 years of benefits but save it all in an an interest bearing account, then when they repaid, they got to keep the interest AND start a new with a much higher benefit amount. As such, the limit was 12 months after you first applied/collected. Sorry for this unfortunate change in policy.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!