ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

mybenefits511 for social security, does this allow me to increase

mybenefits511 for social security, does this allow me to increase my ss benefits and how?

Shawn P. Adamo :

I have seen these ads and blogs telling seniors that they can get $1,000 more a month in social security.

Unfortunately, what the headlines don’t tell you is that there is no social security giveaway, and anyone who plans ahead can do this.

Where the mysterious $1,000 a month comes from is by choosing when you are age 62, not to take your social security benefits and wait until age 70 to do so. In doing that the average worker will get about $1,000 per month more in their benefit payment from social security.

If you have already started taking your retirement benefit from social security and have been receiving it for more than a year, it is impossible to do anything about delaying your retirement and getting those additional thousand dollars a month.

While the message about the extra money is not a scam, it really only applies to certain people who are able and willing to postpone taking their benefit until age 70---which few retirees’ are able to do.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Shawn P. Adamo :

I am sorry to be the "bubble burster". At least you saved money by not falling for it.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Do you have any more questions? I am here to help.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Please rate and submit the rating in order that I am freed from this question to help another.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Thank you.