PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  32 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

mybenefits511.com ad is on just about every radio station claming

Customer Question

mybenefits511.com ad is on just about every radio station claming yo increase monthly benefits by $1000.00 by changing how you file for benefits. Are you award of this? If so,how is it done? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good evening Glenn,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I have seen these ads and blogs telling seniors that they can get $1,000 more a month in social security.

Unfortunately, what the headlines don’t tell you is that there is no social security giveaway, and anyone who plans ahead can do this.

Where the mysterious $1,000 a month comes from is by choosing when you are age 62, not to take your social security benefits and wait until age 70 to do so. In doing that the average worker will get about $1,000 per month more in their benefit payment from social security.

If you have already started taking your retirement benefit from social security and have been receiving it for more than a year, it is impossible to do anything about delaying your retirement and getting those additional thousand dollars a month.

While the message about the extra money is not a scam, it really only applies to certain people who are able and willing to postpone taking their benefit until age 70---which few retirees’ are able to do.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season, and in the coming New Year,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks Doug, that is common knowledge provided to SS recipients before they retire by the government. That ad is a scam and Rush and folks should stop accepting their ad revenue, Thanks ,Glenn

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good evening Glenn,

While I must thank you for your kind words, I wonder why you rated my service so poorly. Your negative rating affects my position on this site---which is my livelihood---when all I wanted to do was provide you with honest, accurate legal information. You were rating me---not your happiness with the fact that you confirmed that the adds are terribly misleading.

The add is actually not a scam in the legal sense----at least in terms of the adds providing false information---but what they do not tell us is that it is addressed to people who have not yet retired, and it clearly fails to mention that you, and I, can get the same information from social security.

So I certainly agree with you that it does seek to take unfair advantage of folks like you and me. But in terms of looking to make money and take advantage of seniors---I personally take offense to these adds, as you do too.

Would you please consider changing your rating?

Thank you in advance,

Doug

Expert:  PDtax replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and saw that you asked for me. I was unable to respond until now.

I went to the link to see exactly what text they promise to expose. Here it is, from the page you are forwarded to when you google mybenefitds511.com: http://w3.newsmax.com/newsletters/franklin/get_free_stuff.cfm?PROMO_CODE=15E27-1&gclid=CPet7pfl0bsCFeg-MgodURwAlA

"You'll discover if you qualify for . . . A simple way you could get an extra $1,000 added to family members' Social Security checks if they qualify"

This implies use of the FAASF strategy, or filing as a spouse first. If the wage earning spouse has maximum benefits coming, he (no offense, just that the husband is most often the earning spouse) claims his benefits at full retirement and then suspends collecting until age 70. His spouse can then claim on his earning record, generating a 50% benefit (of approx. $1,000 per month based on his max benefit of $2,000 per month). When husband decides to claim (after three more years or so of work, his benefit will have grown another 30% or so. I believe that minor children of the high earner spouse also qualify (think a second marriage).

The web page may have provided accurate information, but it just might not be for everyone.

Since more than one Expert has assisted, please ask any follow up questions for the Expert by name. I'm PDtax, and thanks for asking for me.