Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am collecting Social Security Disability benefits. I was

I am collecting Social Security Disability benefits. I was previously married for 17 years. I have not re-married. I am 60 years old on permanent disability. Am I allowed to collect Social Security benefits under my ex-husband when he retires in 2/2014. His income will be larger than mine?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today.

The answer is that you can draw off your ex husbands record, once you reach at least 62. At age 62, your benefit would be 35% of his. At your full retirement age the amount is 50%. However unless he has passed away you cannot take a spousal benefit prior to 62.

To get the benefit you visit your local office. Or you can call 1-800-772-1213. You will need a copy of your marriage certificate and divorce decree.

Please let me know if you need further assistance. If not please rate as positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At age 62, I will be able to clain 35% of his income, Is that in addition to my own benefit? Will I receive both every month?

35% of his benefit comes to about 1/2 of my benefit.

Thank you for your follow up. You can draw either benefit, but not both. So you would probably be better taking your own benefit.

When he passes away you can draw his benefit if it is larger than yours, but only that benefit or your own. Not both.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not please rate positive so that I can receive credit for assisting you today