Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

I and my wife will be 65 in March 2014. I am retired, my wife

I and my wife will be 65 in March 2014. I am retired, my wife is still employed and I am currently covered by her employers health insurance. I have Medicare Part A.

My wife is thinking about retiring in March 2014 when she turns 65 (93% benefits). If she does retire, I understand that I have to apply for Medicare PART B in order to continue to have outpatient insurance coverage. Is this correct ? If so, Do I need to commence the application process NOW. If so, how do I proceed?

In the event that my wife does not retire at 65, but defers until she is 66 years of age (100% benefits) what is the impact to me on obtaining Medicare Part B. May I defer obtaining Medicare B until she retires at 66 years of age? If not, what is the penalty?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today.

You are correct. If your wife retires you will need to apply for part B. You should do so 60 days before she retires. You don't have to do it now. You can call 1-800-772-1213 to take care of this.

If your wife remains employed you can put off getting Medicare B until she retires. There is no penalty for doing so as you're covered by a plan at work.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.