Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

SPBGMA is a bluegrass organization that is asking for my ss

SPBGMA is a bluegrass organization that is asking for my ss number in order for me to compete in their band contest in Nashville. If we win the contest we receive a monetary prize and they say they need my ss for that. It is to be written on the application form. Should I give them my ss number? What is the danger in doing so?
Thank you
Cosmo Cavicchio

Megan C :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you.

Megan C :

SPBGMA will actually need your social security number if they give you more than $600.

Megan C :

So, it's a legitimate request.

Megan C :

The danger of giving them your number is XXXXX someone will get your number and steal your identity - although the risk for that is minimal, in my opinion - but it is a possibility

Customer: If the 5 member band gets $1,000 I will receive $200, which is less than the $600. Does that matter?
Megan C :

I think they will still need your social security number for that, because their cash prize is over $600

Megan C :

But, if you wanted you could contact them and tell them you will give your social security number if you win.

Megan C :

They may not release any money to you until you give that information

Customer: Ok thanks
Megan C :

You're welcoem

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer: They won't even let us participate if we don't .
Customer: All set
Megan C :

Okay, then you will have to give it unfortunately. But, I would say the risk is low. Your personal information is in so many more places that are more vulnerable

Megan C :

Like computer databases