Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

As of December 2nd my partner and I will be able to get married

As of December 2nd my partner and I will be able to get married in the State of Hawaii, where we both reside. We are a gay couple so this is a very exciting time for us. My question is, I am on Social Security Disability and he is a Federal Employee. We just need to verify that our marriage will not effect my Social Security Monthly payment.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question ... my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you

Megan C :

Congrats on getting married...and Hawaii??!! I'm so jealous!

Megan C :

Your social security disability is not impacted whatsoever by your spouses earnings.

Megan C :

Your spouse could be a millionaire, and your disability payment would not be impacted.

Megan C :

However, if you draw SSI which is a low income benefit, then your marriage could impact that benefit. But, I'm assuming you on regular disability.

Customer:

Mahalo XXXXX XXXXX fast service and answer. I did not mind paying this one time fee as the SS department wanted me to come stand in line for the answer and I am not in that good of health. Do I need to do anything so I don't continue to get charged for this service or will it just charge me for this help and then cancel?

Megan C :

I am showing that you did NOT sign up for a subscription, so it's a one time fee. However, for me to get credit for helping, will you please rate me positive?

Customer:

Excellent!!!!