Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I will turn 66 in Feb. 2014. I make less then $37k a year

I will turn 66 in Feb. 2014. I make less then $37k a year . When is the best time to enroll for my SS monthly check? also how do I find out if taking 50% of spousals SS is better then draqwing on my own?

Megan C :

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you today

Megan C :

How are you doing?

Megan C :

You will enroll for your social security check any time between 60 days prior to your 66th birthday and age 70. You can defer your benefits and allow your benefits to grow to their maximum at age 70

Megan C :

They grow by approximately 8% per year

Megan C :

You could draw the spousal benefit from the age of 66 to 70 and then switch to your higher benefit at 70 if your own benefit is greater than the spouse benefit

Megan C :

You would find out which is better for you by visiting social security or calling 1-800-772-1213

Megan C :

Do you have any questions about this matter?

Customer:

How or where do I find out what the dollar amounts of drawing on my own or spouse is the better of the twi options?

Megan C :

You will have to contact social security, either by visiting your local office or calling 1-800-772-1213

Megan C :

They can give you that information

Customer:

Thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome!

Megan C :

IS there anything else you need assistance with today?