Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

I have recently retired and receiving social security. My age

I have recently retired and receiving social security. My age is 67.
My wife is still working and is also age 67 and has yet to claim any social security benefits other than Medicare.
MY QUESTION IS : Can my wife receive 50% of my social security while not having to claim her own at this time.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. How are you today? My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you

Megan C :

The answer to your question is, YES your wife can draw a spousal benefit and allow her own to continue growing to its max at age 70

Megan C :

I would encourage to do this now, because she is full retirement age. She's leaving money on the table if she does not do this

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this matter

Megan C :

You can call 1-800-772-1213 to start your application, or visit your local office. Alternatively you can log onto and start her application there

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

If you have the information you need, please rate my response positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

I see where we got disconnected in chat. If you have no further questions, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting. If you do have follow up questions, please reply below and I will continue to assist.