Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Currently I qualify for $1321 per month if I retire at 62 next

Currently I qualify for $1321 per month if I retire at 62 next year. I've been a high earner for the past decade. If I retire from working -but DO NOT start collecting SS - does that $1321 stop increasing -or does it still continue to increase annually? In other words -do I gain anything by waiting to collect SS? Or is it stuck at $1321 a month with only COL annual increases. I talked directly to the SS office today and could not get a straight answer fro the gal. She did not clearly address my question. I'll restate it: If I'm under the impression that each year after 62 my untouched SS benefits are increasing while I am enjoying not working and living off savings -then I'll wait to collect. If not-then there is no point in WAITING to collect SS. I hope that is pretty clear. Susan

Megan C :

Hello Susan, welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you today

Megan C :

Your benefit continues to increase year after year until you reach age 70.

Megan C :

This is independent of any COLA adjustments.

Megan C :

So, there is an incentive to not draw your benefit

Megan C :

Your benefits increase every month you delay until you reach the age of 70. That is when your benefits stop increasing

Megan C :

Your benefits are reduced by 5/9 of 1% for each month you draw before age 66

Megan C :

Then, once you reach age 66 they grow 8% per year and reach their maximum at age 70

Megan C :

I'm sorry that social security did not inform you of all this.

Megan C :

Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Please take a moment to rate me positive if I have been helpful, as this is how I receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :