Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

Currently I qualify for $1321 per month if I retire at 62 next

Currently I qualify for $1321 per month if I retire at 62 next year. I've been a high earner for the past decade. If I retire from working -but DO NOT start collecting SS - does that $1321 stop increasing -or does it still continue to increase annually? In other words -do I gain anything by waiting to collect SS? Or is it stuck at $1321 a month with only COL annual increases. I talked directly to the SS office today and could not get a straight answer fro the gal. She did not clearly address my question. I'll restate it: If I'm under the impression that each year after 62 my untouched SS benefits are increasing while I am enjoying not working and living off savings -then I'll wait to collect. If not-then there is no point in WAITING to collect SS. I hope that is pretty clear. Susan
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 5 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello Susan, welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X would be happy to assist you today

Megan C :

Your benefit continues to increase year after year until you reach age 70.

Megan C :

This is independent of any COLA adjustments.

Megan C :

So, there is an incentive to not draw your benefit

Megan C :

Your benefits increase every month you delay until you reach the age of 70. That is when your benefits stop increasing

Megan C :

Your benefits are reduced by 5/9 of 1% for each month you draw before age 66

Megan C :

Then, once you reach age 66 they grow 8% per year and reach their maximum at age 70

Megan C :

I'm sorry that social security did not inform you of all this.

Megan C :

Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Please take a moment to rate me positive if I have been helpful, as this is how I receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 5 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 5 months ago.

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :