Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

Hello -- my mother, 64, has been a permanent resident in the

Hello -- my mother, 64, has been a permanent resident in the US for 15 years, lives in Florida. She has not worked in 37 years, will receive a very small ($200) social security payment starting next year, from 2 years of working in the US back in the 70s. My father passed away last year, and my mother lives off my dad's social security (the portion she is entitled to as widow) and the portion of my dad's pension from Germany that she is entitled to (which is about $1300/mo). Does she have to file/pay taxes on any of this? Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 5 months ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

Your mother does not have to pay taxes on the social security check. She does not make enough money for this to be taxable.

Megan C :

She would be taxed on the German pension, but will get credit for any tax that she pays to Germany on that same income.

Megan C :

The only form she needs to file is 1040.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the fact that all of the money she currently receives is essentially my father's (social security and the german pension payments), which she gets because she is a widow, does not exempt her from paying taxes on the pension then?

Megan C :

No, it does not exempt her from tax. She is receiving those funds so she would be taxed on them.

Customer:

ok thank. i probably exceeds the level of detail that i paid for, but i saw that some european countries have treaties whereby pensions paid to US residents are not taxable, under a certain amount. I believe for Italy is is 11500. My mother receives about 13000. So I guess I need to find out if such a treaty exists with germany and what the thresholds are.

Megan C :

I would not know anything about how she would be taxed in Germany on that pension

Customer:

understand, thank you.

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate me positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level