Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My lady friend and I are both receiving Social Security Benefits

My lady friend and I are both receiving Social Security Benefits now. Are either of our benefits jeopardized if we marry? When we marry is there any additional benefits.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you today

Megan C :

Congrats on thinking about getting married!

Megan C :

I have great news for you - marriage after the age of 60 does not impact your benefits

Megan C :

Therefore, you will be able to get married and draw the same benefit you are currently drawing.

Megan C :

The only time there are additional benefits is if 1/2 of one spouses benefit is greater than what that spouse is currently drawing. For example, if you are drawing $2,400 per month and your lady friend is drawing $750, 1/2 of your benefit is $1,200. She is eligible for that, so would draw $1,200 instead of $750

Customer:

Thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today