Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

This is really a medicare question but I was on disability

This is really a medicare question but I was on disability for about 16 yrs and I was able to start working full time. I was told by social security that if I payed for midicare for I would have it for five years and that time should have been up this past august but I continued to get billed and I payed for a quarter and I have received a bill for the next quarter this week. I still have a lot of weekly and monthly medical bills that I can not afford with out it even though I have blue cross through work, it is considered secondary to medicare. I also take some expensive medication to be able to work. I am unclear if I should have medicare this long and if not what should I do
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Megan C :

Thanks for your question ... my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you today

Megan C :

You're only entitled to Medicare for 5 years after you start working again...however, they have not realized that you are still on Medicare. One day, they will realize and they will ask for everything that was paid out on you back. You don't want that to happen.

Megan C :

What you need to do is get off Medicare and then tell your work you no longer qualify for Medicare and they should become the primary insurance.

Customer:

So all the Drs bills and medication that has been covered since August I will have to pay back?

Megan C :

If they find that you received benefits when you were no longer eligible, yes they will ask for that back.

Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Megan C :

Megan C :

Megan C :

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Megan C :

Please feel free to reply below with your concerns. Once finished, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I appogize for the delay but my computer just decided to reboot and I could not do anything after that.

If I just don't make this payment will that be sufficient or do I need to call them? I can not afford to pay all this back for the last quarter right now if I contact them will that just alert them to check into it sooner, I don't want to break the law but I am due for another hospitalization soon and I cant go with out it and I cant pay back right now

Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for this reply. The correct thing to do would be to contact Medicare and cancel your services. If you would rather, if you do not pay your premium they will cancel your policy and this could buy you some time. Who knows...they may never figure it out

Your healthcare should now become the primary. This should help you with the cost of your hospitalization.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If not, please don't forget to rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today
Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level