Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

On Saturday, I asked you about my mothers social security

On Saturday, I asked you about my mother's social security benefit. She is getting about $750/months and her spouse is getting over $1800/month. My mom did not delay her withdrawals to full retirement but stared them as soon as she could which I think must be 62. Does that mean she is NOT eligible for spousal benefits?

Megan C :

Thanks for the updated info, and thanks for requesting me.

Megan C :

What that means is that your mother is probably drawing the largest benefit available to her. Her spousal benefit would also be reduced, and she would only be entitled to about 35% of her spouse's benefit.

Megan C :

SO, unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is room there to increase the benefits.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Since waiting times at our social security office run into HOURS, this has been most helpful, although not the answer I would have liked for my Mom.

Megan C :

I understand, and I'm truly sorry