How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 66, and am scheduled to receive my first Soc Sec check

This answer was rated:

I am 66, and am scheduled to receive my first Soc Sec check ($2465) on Nov 27, 2013.
I have had 2nd thoughts, and may want to delay until age 70. I was told by Soc Sec that I could make one change.

I also found out that I could start drawing the same amount of my wife's Soc Sec ($1140)
until I reach age 70 in 4 years, and receive the maximum $3253. Can I do this and still get the maximum, or will this be more than one change, and I would be stuck collecting her income for the rest of my life.

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You can certainly suspend your benefit ... you can also draw a spousal benefit which is actually 1/2 of your wife's amoiunt.

Megan C :


Customer: Good, hope you are as well
Megan C :

Yes, you can suspend your benefit and draw the spousal benefit until you reach full retirement age.

Megan C :

The one-time deal is for you to suspend your benefits - you can only suspend your benefit one time.

Megan C :

But, you can begin to draw the spousal benefit, then switch

Customer: What do I need to do stop the scheduled check of $2465 this Nov 22?
Megan C :

What you do is call social security at 1-800-772-1213 and tell them you want to suspend your benefit

Megan C :

Then, you can also tell them you would like to arrange for the spousal benefit

Customer: what if they still send my scheduled check anyway?
Megan C :

They may send your first check, but that's okay. They will suspend and your benefits will continue to grow

Megan C :

The impact of getting one check would be negligible on your ultimate benefit at age 70

Customer: I will need to refund that check, want I?
Megan C :

You don't have to

Megan C :

You can though, it would probably make your situation a lot cleaner

Megan C :

You would just take the check back to your local social security office and they would handle the paperwork there

Megan C :

Did I lose you? Are you still in chat?

Customer: When will she return?
Megan C :

I'm here, we just had some technical difficulties


I apologize, we have been having technical difficulties all day on the site. I have changed our mode to Q &A mode, but I will still be here to answer any and all of your questions :-)

You can return your first months check if you receive it, by taking it to your local social security office. If you return it, it's like you never drew an application at all.

Please let me know if you have any further questions by replying below. Once you have the information you need, please rate me positively by selecting 3-5 stars/smileys using the feature along the bottom of the screen. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you an attorney or a financial advisor?
I am a financial advisor, yes - a CPA.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know how I can further assist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I get back in touch with you. Once again, you are saying I can switch to my wife's soc sec and still receive my maximum at age 70.
You can get back in touch with me by coming back to this page and asking me a question.

Yes, I am sure you can draw your spousal benefit now, and then switch to your own benefit at age 70. Absolutely, positively sure.

Please let me know if you need anything else, and once you have the information you need, rate me positively. You can still come back and ask follow up questions even after you rate - simply come back to this page.
Megan C and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You said I would get half of her soc sec(1140, or the full 1140?

Your benefit would be half her benefit. She would still get her full amount.