Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am 62 years old, divorced after being married 15 years, and

I am 62 years old, divorced after being married 15 years, and am working full time. My ex-husband is collecting social security benefits. Do I qualify to collect anything from his benefits if I am working full time?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

As you are under age 66, your benefit would be reduced as a result of your work activity

Megan C :

So, you would qualify for benefits off his record, but those benefits may be reduced $1 for every $2 you earn above $15,120 per year

Customer:

what % would it be reduced? is there a number?

Megan C :

Yes, $1 for every $2 you earn over $15,120

Megan C :

So, if you made $25,120 your benefit would be reduced $5,000 per year

Customer:

ok so if he made approx $200k/yr & is now receiving SS & I'm making $95k , it would not be much to receive now but more later. Correct?

Megan C :

If you are making $95K you would likely get zero benefits now, but you can draw them later once you reach full retirement age.

Megan C :

So yes, you will receive more when you retire later on

Customer:

even if still working?

Megan C :

Yes, once you are full retirement age you can work an unlimited amount

Megan C :

Its only between ages of 62 and 66 there are reductions

Customer:

retirement age even if still working or I must be retired to receive mine & his SS benefits

Megan C :

No, you do not have to actually be retired.

Megan C :

Once you reach 66 you can work an unlimited amount and still draw the benefit

Customer:

gr8, thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

No, it wasn't clear on the SS website if I could receive anything now. thanks & have a gr8 day!

Megan C :

You too. Please don't forget to rate!

Thanks, Christine for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needsd. It was a pleasure working with you today.