Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

MY QUESTION IS FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY LAWYER . WHO GETS SOCIAL

Customer Question

MY QUESTION IS FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY LAWYER . WHO GETS SOCIAL BENIFETS IS IT CORRECT THAT AN EX WIFE CAN GET THE EX HUSBAND'S IF HE DIES
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you doing today?

Megan C :

Yes, a surviving ex spouse who was married for at least 10 years to the deceased worker will get a social security benefit called a survivors benefit

Customer:

I AM DOING OK . Thank you my question is if the ex wife does not have childern who are young and her ex dies she was with him for over 10 years not married does she gets his benifets after his death or she has to have young kids to qulify for the benifets i am trying to understand this if your kids are grown and your ex dies am i still elgible

Megan C :

Yes, you are still eligible starting at age 60

Megan C :

you don't have to have young children

Customer:

even if i do not have or care for his kids under 18

Megan C :

Yes, even if you do not care for children under the age of 18

Customer:

thank god i lost my ex husband and he was helping me to servive to an accident i am going to be 60 this jan

Customer:

so when do i file

Megan C :

You can file up to 60 days prior to your 60th birthday

Customer:

which is oct . i filed oct 1 i went to the office took all the right docs from marraige certifecte to certified divorce to us passport. i also took his certified death certifecte and i filled i went to check on my application and she told me yeasterday that it's not done yet it's pending i am not 60 yet they are still holding my file in local office what is that mean

Megan C :

It means they cannot complete the processing of the file until you reach 60. Once you reach 60 everything will be taken care of. You have nothing to worry about.

Customer:

i am going to be 60 in jan . the field lady that filed my claim said i was very good in getting my papaers . let just tell you my ex was a lawyer and he gave all these certified doc's it's a shame he died that way he was 61 never collected any thing

Megan C :

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know that it must be hard for you.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry that you are going through this, but you should rest assured that everything is fine. You will get benefits starting at age 60

Customer:

i thought it was because i do not have kids in my care i have his kids and his youngest which is my youngest is 24 and lives far all our kids are grown he has no one else to collect on his record exepet his current wifet which is also my age he left us for her

Megan C :

That's fine...you will still draw a full benefit. It will not be impacted by his current wife

Customer:

so i got his kids and nothing and she got a lot of his bills and little also i depended on him for 30 years

Customer:

so if i was denied i would have heard somthing by now

Megan C :

Yes, you would have heard something by now if you were denied. You won't be denied - you are entitled.

Customer:

miss megan you are so nice i have been not sleeping , eating or even drinking water sick with worry .. so you are saying for certin that former wives with out kids are entiteld by law to his social security . and it's still on hold because we are not 60 days from my 60 bd? WHEN IS 60 DAYS THAT WOULD BE NOV 7

Customer:

AND I IF I AM ENTITELD ON JAN 7 WHICH IS MY B D WHEN DO I GET THAT BENIFET

Megan C :

You need to take care of your self ma'am. There's no need to worry. Yes, you will get the benefits. You do not have to have children to get them.

Megan C :

You would get your first check in February

Customer:

IS IT THE NORM COURSE WITH THEM TO SAY FILE EARLY GET ALL THESE DOCS AND YOU WONT HEAR FROM THEM .

Megan C :

Yes, it's totally normal. Social security will rarely contact you unless there is a problem. SO, no news is good news

Customer:

the lady also asked me for direct deposit for my account . and said i would get a letter from them when will that letter comes

Megan C :

That letter will come sometime between November 7 and January 7

Customer:

and now it's been over a month i applaied and when i went yeasterday the i asked the lady at the counter is there a proble she said no i am not 60 yet

Megan C :

You won't hear from them. That's completely normal. I know that it's frustrating.

Customer:

thank you i read these servivers benifets and they are confusing i thought only his widow his unmarried children , under 18 his deopendent parents which all gone and divorced wife and then they said former wives with kids that is how i am confused

Megan C :

I understand, It can be very confusing. But, if you need anything you just come here and ask for me and we can talk about it...okay?

Customer:

how many former wives can collect on one record my ex only has me t's just a question

Megan C :

http://www.justanswer.com/finance/expert-myvirtualcpa/ There is my direct link. If you ask your question on this page, it will come directly to me.

Megan C :

As many former wives as he has that were married over 10 years....if he had 4 wives he was each married to for 10 years they would all qualify

Customer:

this really the only thing if you were my daughter i would hug you and thank you i have been trying to find ananswer after i filed for long since he died. the lady at the office that filled how do they know you would be approved and how do they match records

Megan C :

It's all done by computer. For this type of benefit, there's really nothing to approve or deny. If you were married longer than 10 years then you are entitled to the benefit. So, you will be approved. ANyone at social security can see that just from your information.

Customer:

would that lady tell me i was approved if i would not at the office i showed her my divorce paper is that what she wrote down

Megan C :

Yes, that's all she probably was writing down is what she saw. That lady at the office would be able to tell you if you were approved. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Customer:

i was married oct 28 89 got divorced dec7

Megan C :

OK

Customer:

i shwed her my marraiage from the county and state and also his death certifecte from the state ok is that over 10 years right

Megan C :

Yes, you were married over 10 years and the paperwork that you showed her was the correct information.

Customer:

so no worries god bless you miss megan i will contact you .i am also not married and have a low paying job

Megan C :

Yes, as long as you do not get married before your 60 birthday, you will be forever entitled to his survivors benefits

Customer:

you know it's nice to meet thank you again it's just scary when you have so little and love from your heart and your exleaves you with out nothing . but who would want me i am nothing. i left my whole family to be with my ex raised 2 kids from another marraiage before my own with him and he still left me

Megan C :

I'm so, so sorry to hear that. But, you aren't nothing - you are a very important person. I'm glad you came to this site, I enjoy talking to you.

Customer:

miss megan i was told i have to be 60 for a whole month from that hot line . but the lady at the feild office said no i will get it in feb like you said what is the right answer

Customer:

thank you .

Megan C :

You will get the benefit in February, because that covers January the month you turn 60

Customer:

is it feb or march. god bless thank you iwill try not to worry tonight.

Megan C :

February.

Customer:

hot line said i have to be 60 the whole month from jan and my first payment in march

Megan C :

No, I always understood it to be that you would get the benefit in February for the January period.

Megan C :

You get a benefit for the entire first month the month of your birthday, even if you are born on the last day of the month

Megan C :

However, when you die, you get no benefit for the month of your death, even if you died on the last day

Customer:

any way i took enough of your time if i do not talk to you pray for me and i will pray for you how did you know so much about this? i guess from what i read it will be on his birth date

Megan C :

Yes, I will pray for you ma'am. I hope you have a wonderful night. Be sure to come back and see me if you get worried about something. I don't want you to worry.

Customer:

Thanks my new friend if there was a rating better than exllent i would do it . you are more than exellent thank you

Megan C :

Yes,

Megan C :

you can rate using the feature along the bottom of the screen

Megan C :

5 stars/smileys gives me full credit

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your positive rating. Please come back and visit me if you have any questions. I answer tax, finance, and social security questions. Also, in a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be appreciated as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks again and have a great night. Try not to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

miss megan Thank you for the info last night . have one more questin . did my ex have to have to have been collecting disabelity befor he died for me to get those benifets? AND WHEN YOU FILE HOW DO THEY KNOW that you are not married. and how do they quify you and know that all the info you gave was true . after all the person is dead . how do they match every thing and approve you. in the end does it click approved or deny?thank you again

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me. Your ex did NOT have to be collecting benefits prior to death for you to get benefits. They know you are not married any more because you gave them the divorce decree. They know the information is true because they can tell if the documents they gave you are correct or not. They can also call the courts where the paperwork was generated and verify the information you gave them. In the end, you will be approved. Please do not worry, Aida

Thanks!

Megan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am done reading , i gave them all the right papers does that all computer verfication . and one more thing how do they know that i am still not married . when that lady put it in the computer does she gets approved in the end or deny.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. They know you are not married, because you never changed your name again. The lady that entered your information in would know if you would be approved or denied, yes. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you further. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so why did that office did not finish my papers and you know if i have a million dollars i would put it in here for a bonus . . when i get that letter i promise to keep in touch becuse you deserve the best

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
They can't finish your paperwork until you get closer to your birthday. I know you are very worried about this, but I wouldn't worry - you will be approved and will get your benefit starting in February. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Megan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

last thing my marraige cerfifecte said i was married on oct 28 1989 .

divorce final was dec2000. next paper it said property settlement agreement my ex was a lawyer he did his own divorce . so he can do what ever he wants he wrote on it we were married oct 27 instead of 28 . but social security did not get to that property settlement agreement does that matter and do social security calls the court to verfiy every thing i am really done my friend it's a shame after having his kids he did not leave me an insurance . and upon his death alimony died . i was stupid but i was heart broken. i saved a little and have a small job so that is why i am counting on it and then i will save agin from my little job and live on his social thank you

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Aida,

Since your divorce was final in December 2000, you were married longer than 10 years. You have nothing to worry about. It does not matter that he put the 27 in the property settlement. You will be fine. I would try not to worry. They go by your paperwork, They don't verify every single little detail in the paperwork. Thank you.

Megan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you miss megan that marraiage is behind me i will do good things and help others like you helped me i do not need much . so you sure i will get that benifets Thank you.A

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Yes, based on what you have told me you will get benefits. I hope you take care, Aida. Please let me know if you need anything else.