Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have a daughter who just turned 21. She is mentally ill

I have a daughter who just turned 21. She is mentally ill and we have been working with doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists for over 5 years. I have been trying to get her into school or a job and it has all been a major failure. she has been hospitalized 4 times for suicide attempts.
I can't financially support her any longer.
Is she eligible for social security benefits? if so, how do i go about applying?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter.

Megan C :

Are you currently drawing social security benefits? If so, she would be eligible for an adult child benefit.

Megan C :

She can draw the adult child benefit provided that she became disabled before the age of 22.

Megan C :

Which, she is 21 now so that's good.

Megan C :

If you are not eligible for social security

Megan C :

then she could possibly get on SSI

Megan C :

But, any assistance you provide her would be considered income, so she may not qualify if she physically lives with you

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer