How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience:  Tax & Social Security Benefits specialist
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have 2 children in college,my husband(their father)died in

This answer was rated:

i have 2 children in college,my husband(their father)died in Oct.2011,are they eligable to
collect on his s.s.(they r both full time students)?

R. Klein, EA :

Thank you for your Social Security question.

R. Klein, EA :

Many years ago, children of a deceased parent could qualify for benefits for college. I personally was one of those children.

R. Klein, EA :

However, more than 20 years ago, Congress realized that they were sending too many children to college.

R. Klein, EA :

As a result, the children's benefit now stops at the LATER of completion of high school or their 18th birthday.

R. Klein, EA :

So, unless your children have not yet reached 18, there is no SS benefit.

R. Klein, EA :

So, I am sorry, but Social Security does not provide any benefit for education past high school.


too bad,their Dad worked 3 jobs to make ends meet. we'll continue to struggle,but the Lord will see us thru,thank you.

R. Klein, EA and 2 other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you

Related Social Security Questions