Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My mother began receiving her SS benefits at 62 based on her

My mother began receiving her SS benefits at 62 based on her ex-husband's credits. She will be 82 next week. He passed away in 1994. Neither remarried. Was/ is she eligible for an increase due to survivor's benefits? Is this retroactive?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Your mother should be receiving a benefit equal to what her ex husband would be drawing if he were alive right now.

Megan C :

That is the survivor's benefit...and if she's not drawing a survivor benefit, she will only be drawing 1/2 of what he earned.

Megan C :

If she's not drawing the survivor benefit, she can call social security and get her benefit increased. They may need to see a copy of his death certificate.

Megan C :

and their divorce decree

Megan C :

The increase would only be retroactive 6 months - she cannot go back to 1994 forward if she's not drawing the correct amount, unfortunately

Customer:

thank you, Megan.

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Customer:

No, thank you for your help.

Thank you, Wendy for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax, finance, or social security question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.