Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My mom was on LIHP as she has no job/income. When she turned

My mom was on LIHP as she has no job/income. When she turned 65, the county referred here to Social Security. She got approved for Medicare and Medi-Cal. She was also told to apply for SSI. She applied for SSI. She has gotten a letter because she and my dad were on my account. I don’t want to go thru the audit with them. If she withdraws her SSI will she lose here Medi-Cal? Are there any consequences of withdrawing an application. I hear you can get blacklisted and can never qualify for a benefit in the future. Is it worth hiring an attorney to fight for her SSI? I called around 8 law offices but can’t seem to find attorneys that practice in this area. A referral for someone in 92026 zip code will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Megan C :

Your mother should carefully consider whether or not to withdraw her application, as it can impact your other benefits

Megan C :

This decision is a personal decision and should be made under the counsel of an attorney in your area.

Megan C :

Here's a list of attorney and law firms that handle social security clients in the Escondido California area: CLICK HERE

Megan C :

Please reply and let me know what further questions you may have.

Customer:

My question is not answered, will she lose her Medi-cal?

Customer:

Appreciate the links

Megan C :

Thanks for following up with me.

Megan C :

No, she should not lose her Medi-Cal if she withdraws her application

Megan C :

They are two separate programs - one is federal, the other state

Customer:

ok, that is good news, now is there sucha thing as a black list?

Megan C :

No, not with SSI

Megan C :

If you refuse Medicare, then you can't draw social security

Megan C :

I think that's what you are referring to

Customer:

i think, see the issue is even when she got her citizenship 7 years ago, she went back to saudia arabia and worked there. she doesn't have enough credits to get social security.

Megan C :

I see, so her only option is SSI

Customer:

what I am thinking is if she withdraws her application, the look back period is only 3 years so she can apply then right. So 3 years from now when she applies for ssi again, she won't have to go thru this aduit and i won't either.

Megan C :

Yes, that would be the case

Customer:

Megan, you are very kind and helpful. thank you

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

yes, offcourse i will. if I have further questions, i will come to this site and try to find you. again appreciative of your help.

Megan C :

You're welcome. I'm sorry that you have to deal with social security. I know it can be stressful.

Customer:

you got that right my friend. thanks again and bye. I will go rate you excellent now. if i need your help, i will buy you again.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Casey for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.