dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I have been collecting SSDI for 11 years, I will be turning

I have been collecting SSDI for 11 years, I will be turning 65 in March 2014 and want to know if I am still able to collect on my ex husband's (maried 25 Years) Social Security?
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Great question. Note, at age 65, you will automatically be transitioned to SS retirement. Likewise, at such time, the SSA will determine whether your spousal benefit from your ex is greater than what you will receive under your own work account for SS retirement. And you will receive the higher of the two. However, you cannot get both.

I wish you well. Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was told by a friend that because I have been getting SSDI that I won't be allowed to claim anything on my ex husband if he is still alive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am still waiting for the answer.
Your friend is not correct. You are entitled to whichever benefit is higher. Also, whether your ex is alive or not, you are entitled to one half his benefits or your benefit, whichever is higher. That is the law!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, it has nothing to do with my collecting SSDI?

NO it does not. Even if you were not collecting SSDI, beginning at age 60, you were eligible to receive your spousal benefit. But if you took it then, it would be reduced by 25%. Now, at age 65, you will get your full spousal benefit or your retirement benefit, whichever is higher.

Please rate my answer ok or better. Otherwise, I am not paid though you have paid a deposit. Thanks.