Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

How to straighten out the name on a ss card that has my nickname

How to straighten out the name on a ss card that has my nickname on it.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you doing today?

Customer:

Fine and you

Megan C :

In order to correct information on your social security record, you will actually need to fill out an application for a social security card

Megan C :

It's form SS-5 and is available HERE

Customer:

Hello

Megan C :

I know it seems a little counter intuitive, but this form is used to correct anything that may be wrong with your record

Megan C :

Were you able to see my response?

Megan C :

Or are you just now able to see what I am typing?

Megan C :

It's form SS-5 and is available HERE

Customer:

Are you there I'm not seeing any message.

Megan C :

Yes, I am here...can you see me now?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Would the new application change my number. I don't want that to happen

Customer:

is this the end of our chat?

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Hello Mary Margaret,

I see you were having trouble in live chat. I've switched to a different format, so that you can see what I say.

In order to update the name on your social security card, you will need to fill out form SS-5 which is actually an application for a SS card, but it's used to correct information on your social security record as well.

All you will do is take this form, along with any documentation you have about your name, to your local social security office. They will assist you in getting this straightened out.

Do you have any further questions for me? I appreciate the opportunity to help! Please feel free to reply if you have further questions, or if I have given you the information you need, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

CLICK HERE
for form SS-5
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your follow up, Mary Margaret.

The application would NOT change your social security number. The number would remain the same.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you.

If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks!