dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Hi, I had a stroke on 04/07/13. I have limited movement

I had a stroke on 04/07/13. I have limited movement on my right side as well as spasticity (a life long complication).

Since I have been self-employed for many, many years - I am short by 4 credits according to the SSA website to qualify for disability benefits. I did make a profit last year - although the year 2012 has not been recorded yet on the SSA website. Also, since I sold my business after my stroke - I should definitely have enough credits after I file my taxes for next year.

My question is ... should I file for SS disability now, wait to see of I have enough credits once they post 2012 earnings, or wait until I file my taxes for 2013?

I hope I have provided enough info as it is hard typing with one hand.

Thank You
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Please file NOW. Note, to qualify for SSD you have to be found both medically disabled and meet the quarter requirements. Likewise, once you are found medically disabled, but denied because you do not have enough quarters, you will become eligible once the income is reported. So it is to your advantage to file now.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.