Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am now 71 and have been receiving SSA benefits since about

I am now 71 and have been receiving SSA benefits since about age 65. My wife, 44 yrs, also received benefits from my SSA contribution, as she did not have enough quarters credit to qualify on her own. My wife died about 2 years ago at age 67. Thus her benefits stopped. My question is... If I were to remarry a woman, age 70, that is currently receiving benefits based on her own contributions, and I were to die before she, is there some number of years that we must have been married prior to her receiving my SSA benefit, which is larger than hers? Thanks for your help.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You only have to be married 9 months to qualify for a survivor benefit

Megan C :

So, so long as you and your wife are married for 9 months, they will qualify for a benefit off your record

Customer:

Wow, I would have expected it to be many years. Thank you for this info.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If there's nothing else that I can assist you with, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today!