Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

When a husband passes away,can a spouse receive all of his

When a husband passes away,can a spouse receive all of his social security instead of her own

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about your loss

Megan C :

When one spouse passes away, the other spouse can draw the full benefit that the deceased spouse was drawing, or their own benefit

Megan C :

but not both

Megan C :

So the answer to your question is yes, she can draw the husband's check instead of her own

Customer:

my husband passed away 7 years ago and I was told I only received part of his social security along with my own which is considerably less than what his was. A friend just told me that she is receiving allof her husbands social security. Do I have any recourse now.

Megan C :

You could go to social security and tell them you would like to start drawing your late husbands benefit

Megan C :

They will give you your benefit, then a part of his benefit so that your total benefit equals what he was drawing.

Megan C :

But, you van

Megan C :

sorry about that

Megan C :

But you can't draw retroactive benefits. They won't go back, as unfair as that is

Customer:

Thank you so much.

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

you have helped a great deal Thank you again

Thanks, Joanne for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax, finance, or social security question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today