Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

My husband receives Social Security. He has two ex-wives. One

My husband receives Social Security. He has two ex-wives. One of them also receives some portion of his Social Security. The other wants to apply for it (they were married for over 10 years). Does the amount paid to ex-wives decrease the amount he receives? What percentage to they (each) get. And what will I get if I outlive my husband?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Each ex wife will get a benefit equal to 50% of his benefit...but that does NOT decrease anything that he receives or that you receive.

Megan C :

You too can get 1/2 of his benefit.

Megan C :

If you outlive your husband, then you get a benefit equal to his full benefit

Megan C :

Each of the ex wives would also get the same benefit, and no ones benefit would be impacted by the other drawing a benefit

Customer: Great! That is what I was hoping to hear. ;)
Customer: thank you!
Customer: Just to clarify - THREE halves (of his Social Security amount) is paid?
Megan C :

Yes, that is correct

Customer: OK! Thank you!
Thanks, Rebecca for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today!