Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My wife started social security benefits at 62. She did not

My wife started social security benefits at 62. She did not qualify for the maximum social security monthly benefit because of her past earnings. I would qualify for the maximum monthly benefit for myself but have chosen not to apply for social security benefits at 62 because I am still working as a part time consultant. We have been told (not by experts) that there is a way that my wife can receive MY benefit payment until such time as I fully retire and begin claiming it for myself. Is this true, and if so, how do we go about it?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you doing today?

Megan C :

The method you are talking about is "file and suspend" - and it's only available once you reach full retirement age

Megan C :

You cannot file and suspend prior to reaching your full retirement age.

Megan C :

How it works is that you open up your record by applying for benefits, your spouse applies for spousal benefits, and then you suspend your payments.

Customer:

So, it would have to wait until I reach 65 then?

Megan C :

She draws 1/2 of your benefit, yours grows to its max at age 70

Megan C :

Actually, it's 66

Customer:

66 right, typo

Megan C :

Yes, you would need to wait until 66

Customer:

and she would be eligible for 50% of mine benefit, therefore only of value for us if her payment today is less than 50% of mine.

Megan C :

That is correct. This is only a valuable tool if the other spouse has a lower benefit than 1/2 of the wage earners

Customer:

okay, I got it. It would help us a little but it is 2 years away and just a little more than she receives today. but thank you for clearing it up.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Megan C :

If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

No, I think we're good. Yes, I will.

Megan C :

Thanks so much!

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, Art for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax, social security, or finance question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

Thanks!