Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I will be 63 in December and am considering retiring. According

I will be 63 in December and am considering retiring. According to my information I would receive around $600.00 a month in SS. However, I have heard that I can opt to take half of my husband's SS instead which would be around 980.00 per month. Is this true? He is 66 and receiving his full SS check. If this is true, what happens when I turn 66 and can receive my full SS check, which I am sure would still be lower than half of his SS.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You are correct that you can get up to 1/2 of your husband's social security check. However, you are under full retirement age, therefore your benefit would be about 35% of his benefit. If you wait to age 66 you will get a full 1/2 of his benefit.

Megan C :

You cannot draw the spousal benefit early and then switch to your own benefit at age 66 - you could, but your benefit would be reduced just as if you had drawn at age 63

Thanks, Judy for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

Thanks!