Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My two year old twins receive a social security disability

My two year old twins receive a social security disability benefit because their father(my spouse) is disabled.
When I retire, will the boys(under age 18) be eligible for a social security benefit from me?
Will this interfere with their disability benefit from their father?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

When you retire, your boys will be eligible for a benefit off your record

Megan C :

However, they could only draw one benefit - either your retirement benefit, or their father's disability benefit - but not both.

Customer:

Thanks Megan. Doesn't seem fair since they have both a mom and dad. Will mu benefit effect my husband's in any way?

Megan C :

No, it will not

Megan C :

But, one son can draw the disability benefit, and the other draw the retirement benefit instead of both splitting the disability benefit

Customer:

That may help. honeys disability is 1200. babies receive total 600. (approx.) if my retirement is 2000 would they likely share 1000? yet on separate benefits one get the whole 600 and one get the whole 1000?

Megan C :

Yes, if they are on separate benefits, one would get the entire $600 and the other would get $1,000

Customer:

Thank you. This helps with planning.

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can assist with today?

Megan C :

You put them on line 19\

Megan C :

as a direct expense

Megan C :

I'm sorry, that wasn't meant for you.

Customer:

If I retire age 65 and work part time during that year will my retirement benefit be reduced? I see you are multi tasking! LOL

Megan C :

If you make over $15,120 your benefit will be reduced $1 for every $2 above that amount. Your child benefit would not be impacted.

Customer:

and after 66 no reductions?

Megan C :

That is correct.

Customer:

Have a great day. I am totally satisfied (though "reduced") with your support!

Thanks Vickilynne for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.