Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband is a writer. Can I earn social security credits

My husband is a writer. Can I earn social security credits if he hires me as an editor?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you todya?

Megan C :

today?

Megan C :

The answer to your question is "yes" if your husband hires you as an editor, you can earn social security credits

Megan C :

If he pays you as an employee, then he would pay 1/2 of your social security tax and you would pay the other 1/2. This would come from your pay directly.

Megan C :

If he does not pay you as an employee, and instead you are an independent contractor, then you will pay your full social security taxes as your self employment taxes when you file your tax return.

Megan C :

Either way, you earn credits, which can help you qualify for retirement benefits.

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If there's nothing else that I can assist you with today, will you please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today?

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer