Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My Wife is 62 and qualifies for Social Security on her account

My Wife is 62 and qualifies for Social Security on her account although it would be the minimum benefit. I am 58 and have paid in the maximum every year of my career. If my wife takes her benefit at 62 and then converts to the spousal portion of my benefit when I turn 66 (her age 70) will her spousal portion be reduced because she took her benefit at 62?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

If your wife draws a benefit now, her benefit will be forever reduced. This is true, even if she later takes your benefit.

Megan C :

She still will not get the full 1/2 of your benefit.

Customer:

So if she takes her benefit at 66, there is no reduction, correct?

Megan C :

That is correct. If she takes her own benefit at 66 there is no reduction

Megan C :

And, she can switch to your benefit once you draw and get a full 50% of your benefit

Customer:

Thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Thanks, Craig for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer