Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

One of the eligibility requirements for Medicaid Husky D in

One of the eligibility requirements for Medicaid Husky D in Connecticut is that the family is without a dependent child under age 19 in the household. Does it also require that you do not have a dependent over the age of 19? We are a married couple, with the father being 66 and on Medicare and the wife (me) being on Medicaid starting on January 1, 1914. I qualified for Medicaid using the Access CT portal. We have a 23 year old that could be claimed as a dependent because we provide more than 1/2 his support and he makes less than 3800 a year. When I said that we had a dependent (our 23 year old son) the Portal denied me medicaid. The Kaiser website calculater  seemed to indicate that it was alright to have a three person family with myself and my son on medicaid and my husband on medicare.  

Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

One of the eligibility requirements for Medicaid Husky D in Connecticut is that the family is without a dependent child under age 19 in the household. Does it also require that you do not have a dependent over the age of 19? We are a married couple, with the father being 66 and on Medicare and the wife (me) being on Medicaid starting on January 1, 1914. I qualified for Medicaid using the Access CT portal. We have a 23 year old that could be claimed as a dependent because we provide more than 1/2 his support and he makes less than 3800 a year. When I said that we had a dependent (our 23 year old son) the Portal denied me medicaid. The Kaiser website calculater seemed to indicate that it was alright to have a three person family with myself and my son on medicaid and my husband on medicare.

Response: Unfortunately, in application for Medicaid Husky D, household members only apply to children under 19 and no child above 19. So, even if you have a 23-year old that you are supporting, you cannot put the 23-year old on the Medicaid Husky D. You can have a three-person household. However, the child that you are listing to bring your household number to three must be under age 19. See instructions for Medicaid Husky D.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I see this:http://www.ct.gov/dss/lib/dss/pdfs/frontpage/medicaid_eligibility_expansion_in_brief_10.1.13.pdf and I thought it said: if you were seeking Husky D in 2014, you could not have a dependent under 19. I am trying to see on the Medicaid Husky D application what you are saying. Maybe, I am not seeing clearly. Could you please show me?

Response: I see where the confusion is. The link that you provided deals with the expansion of Medicaid under Affordable Care Act, which takes effect on January 1, 2014. This is the one that you are now posting about, which is correct. However, under that PDF, is an exception with regard to coverage for dependents (emphasis added by me):

"With new federal funding, Connecticut will expand Medicaid eligibility for adults
aged 19 up to 65. The expansion covers only adults who do not have dependent
child(ren) in the household (other parts of Medicaid cover adults living with minor children)." So, my response is correct and yours is also correct. My response and PDF that I previously provided deal with regular Medicaid now. See Part D of the instructions.

Let me know if you still need clarification.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You said: "Connecticut will expand Medicaid eligibility for adults
aged 19 up to 65. The expansion covers only adults who do not have dependent child(ren) in the household." So, us both being correct means that in 2014, for us there is no three people household. Only a couple, me and my husband qualify. So, this means that the income requirements will be calculated for me on Husky D, with my husband on Medicare and his earnings deemed to me. Our son will keep his husky D separately. Is that how I should look at it? Thanks so much for your answer today.

aged 19 up to 65. The expansion covers only adults who do not have dependent child(ren) in the household."

Response 1: I was actually quoting from the PDF that you provided.

So, us both being correct means that in 2014, for us there is no three people household.

Response 2: No, there are two different types of Medicaid eligibility. One under the regular Medicaid, which you are now applying under which requires no person above age 19 to be included as household member and the other under Affordable Care Act, which considers people aged 19 and up as household members..

Only a couple, me and my husband qualify. So, this means that the income requirements will be calculated for me on Husky D, with my husband on Medicare and his earnings deemed to me. Our son will keep his husky D separately. Is that how I should look at it? Thanks so much for your answer today.

Response 3
: Yes, under the current and regular Medicaid.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.