Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

my son is on disability social security and i am on my deceased

my son is on disability social security and i am on my deceased husbands disability social security. I know that they will make him use the profit from the home to live on until it is all gone. can he give the profit to me or will i be penalized also. if i am put on the deed before he sells the home will that make it a way to use the money or will that be against me also
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

Is your son on SSI or regular disability?

Megan C :

If your son is on SSI and is selling his house, then he will have to spend those assets down. He cannot give the proceeds to you in order to continue benefits.

Customer:

i am not quite sure but i believe it is regular disability what is the difference

Megan C :

If he's on regular disability then he can have an unlimited amount of assets. It will not go against him. It's only if he's drawing a low income benefit that he is penalized for selling assets.

Megan C :

If he's on SSDI, he can sell the house, keep the proceeds and continue receiving the benefit

Customer:

how can you tell the difference

Megan C :

Your son should know. SSI is typically a small benefit. Also, if your son has more than $2,000 in assets (excluding house and one car) then he would not be eligible for SSI in the first place.

Customer:

i need to call him and ask him i know he only gets one check each month

Megan C :

Did he work?

Megan C :

Did he used to work? Or has he always been disabled?

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Sandra,

Thanks so much for your positive rating!! Please come back and see me if you have any additional questions. Simply return to this page and I will be thrilled to help. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i would like to know if i have joined and have to pay something very month

Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Sandra

I am not showing that you purchased a subscription. Therefore, you should only be billed once for this question.

Thanks!