Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

Can my wife at 64 get spousal benefits when I reach 66 but

Can my wife at 64 get spousal benefits when I reach 66 but defer claiming the benefits till 70?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Does your wife want to defer receiving benefits, or do you want to defer receiving benefits?

Megan C :

Your wife cannot use FAASF (file as a spouse first) until she reaches full retirement age. She could not, at 64, draw a spousal benefit and allow her own benefit to grow. She can do that once she reaches full retirement age, allowing her benefit to maximize at age 70

Megan C :

If your wife wants a benefit now, you can file and suspend when you reach 66 (full retirement age)

I am now 66 but decide to defer withdrawing my benefits until 70. Can my wife at 64 start withdrawing spousal benefits now?

Megan C :

If you file and suspend, yes.

Megan C :

You have to file first though - but you can file and then suspend your benefit. Your benefit will be deferred but she can draw her benefit

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Yes, thank you

Thanks Noriyoshi for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax, finance, or social security question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Yes, I would like to keep your contact information for my future inquiry. Best regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Megan,

Actually I have one more question at this time.

Our son at 29 is disabled, since diagnosed at the age of 3, can he receive disability benefits as my son when I file for social security at 66 but suspend my benefits until 70?

Thanks for your follow up.

The child benefit would only be available if you were drawing your own benefit. So, your son would have to wait until you are age 70 to draw the benefit, unless you decide to draw your own benefit at 66.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please rate this response as "excellent" so that I may receive further credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick answer.

With regard to my first question of spousal benefit, I understand that my spouse will receive only 50% of my full benefit amount at 66 and not the increased amount 70, even if I decide to suspend the benefit until 70. Is this correct?

Thanks, Noriyoshi.

Yes, that is correct. Your spouse will only get 50% of your full benefit at age 66 - not the stepped up amount at age 70.

Thanks again!