Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

iwas a widow for many years and when i started to collect ss

iwas a widow for many years and when i started to collect ss I collected on my dead husbands ss,then I received a letter thatmine would be more because he died in 1972. I got remarried in 2003 and a neighbor said that I should look into collecting on my present husbands ss. He is quite a bit younger than I am He was born in 1958 and I in 1931. Is this true?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you tonight?

Megan C :

Unfortunately your present husband is not retirement age, so you cannot draw a benefit off his record until he is at least 62.

Megan C :

The maximum you could draw off him would be 50% of his benefit

Megan C :

This is the benefit while he is living

Megan C :

You should continue drawing the larger of your late husband's benefit or your own benefit. Then, once your current husband is retirement age, consider changing to his amount if it's higher

Customer:

Your answer is fine but look at the dates, I'll never make it to collect on my present husband so I'll keep it the way it is, thank you.

Megan C :

IS there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

no thanks I believe you have given me the answer.

Megan C :

I'm glad I could help. If you would, please rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Rosemary for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security questions. It was a pleasure working with you today.