Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My wife is older than I am. Can she start collecting her retirement

My wife is older than I am. Can she start collecting her retirement at age 67 (half of mine) even if I continue to work?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Your wife cannot start drawing a social security benefit off your work record, until you file for your benefit

Megan C :

You must be full retirement age to "file and suspend" which would allow her to draw off your benefit, while you continue to work.

Megan C :

If she has a benefit off her own record, she can draw that until you get ready to draw your benefit.

Megan C :

I'm sorry if you expected otherwise. Please let me know if you have further questions about this matter

Megan C :

If not, please take a moment to rate my response as 'excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Thanks. For clarification, can I file for benefits, making her eligible, at any stage or only at full retirement? Then I would suspend my own payments and accrue until I have hit the maximum?

Megan C :

Thanks for your follow up. You can only file and suspend if you are full retirement age.

Megan C :

However, you can apply for your benefit prior to full retirement age

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer