PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  32 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

How do my husband and I know if we are elligible for the F

How do my husband and I know if we are elligible for the FAASF
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

PDtax :

Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and thanks for asking for me.

PDtax :

Can I get back to you in five minutes or so? Finishing up another question.

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

are you there?

PDtax :

Thanks for waiting.

Customer:

are you not able to answer my question?

PDtax :

sorry, was typing my response.

Customer:

Where do I find your response

PDtax :

I'm checking eligibility requirements. Just a moment, please...

PDtax :

As long as both spouses have reached age 62, the FAASF decision can be beneficial.

PDtax :

It allows a spouse to claim benefits based on the other's earning record, and deferral of generally the higher earning spouse's benefits.

Customer:

We are 74 years of age and 73 years of age

PDtax :

And you have been receiving social security for years. The election needed to have been made when you first claimed benefits.

Customer:

could you explain this process//

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Obviously we did not know how to apply and we are not eligible after the fact

PDtax :

in order to elect FAASF, the election to claim on a spouse's earnings must be made when originally filing for benefits. Let's say your husband was the higher earner, and you wanted to allow his benefit to grow. He would have elected when he filed for benefits to File As a Spouse First, and claim against your earnings record (for 50% of your monthly benefit). Ideally, the choice would have been before age 70 1/2 to allow his benefits to grow.

PDtax :

Oops, age 70, not age 70 1/2.

Customer:

This is not retroactive on our part. We could not go to the social security office and change things?

PDtax :

No. The election must be made when you first claim for benefits.

Customer:

ok appreciate the help

PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience: 32 years tax and professional advice in all matters money