Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am 61 and receiving SS Disability. My spouse will be 63 in

I am 61 and receiving SS Disability. My spouse will be 63 in January and is slated to have a benefit $450/mo. less than me. Can she file "as spouse first"? If she does will she then collect the same benefit as me until she switches to her own?

Thanks
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

I am 61 and receiving SS Disability. My spouse will be 63 in January and is slated to have a benefit $450/mo. less than me. Can she file "as spouse first"?

Response 1
: Yes, she can.

If she does will she then collect the same benefit as me until she switches to her own?

Response 2: Unfortunately, no she would not. She may get less that 50% of the amount that you are getting because she has not yet reached full retirement age. For more information, click here.